I spent my time in Devon in the United Kingdom. The truth is that I was given a contract to sell pewter jewelry, but most of the US had been taken up and my supplier was unwilling to allow me to take any of the remaining areas because my business was too small.
Me and my girlfriend found a ticket to the UK that was very cheap, but it took us to Hull. When we were there we stayed the night in a cheap hotel and went looking for transport. Luckily for us we found a lowlife willing to sell us a battered Volvo for just fifty pounds. Without insurance or an MOT we set off to make the 350 mile trip to Devon. It took us around 12 hours, but that is because we made occasional stops.
We stopped off at Newbury where their famous Newbery fruits candy is made. We also stopped off at the very disappointing Stonehenge. The people there had fenced it off and wanted £13 each for us to enter and go take a look. We parked just outside the compound and held our camera over the fence and took some photos that were really zoomed in. it was just a bunch of rocks in the ground and we were thoroughly unimpressed.
When we got to Devon we found a small nature reserve that was up a very large mountainous hill. There was a camp site there so we set up our tent and spent the night. We were so high up that there was often mist in the air. We woke up at around 7am to an eerily misty atmosphere. You could see the mist move like smoke as small gusts of air caught it. We saw a deer sneaking around to see if the campers had left anything, and just as the others in the compound were waking up we started to see rabbits come out of their hiding places and scamper off into the woods.
We traveled around Devon trying a few shops, but nobody was interesting in buying the jewelry and putting it in their shops. After a few rejections we lost our nerve and decided to spend the rest of our time as a holiday. The weather was very mild with very little rain and lots of sun. It was completely different from the rest of the country which is often windy or rainy with grey skies.
We saw a beach with light yellow and white sand, which is unusual in most other places in Britain. We also noticed how blue the sea was, which is another thing that is very uncommon in Britain because most of their sea is brown for around ten miles out to sea.
We accidentally locked the keys in the car and had to smash a back window to get at them. We took it to Stansted airport where we found a plane ticket to take us back home to America. We abandoned the car in the airport and left on our plane. It was a nice place to go on holiday, and the people all seem very nice, posh and sophisticated. I would recommend going to Britain for a holiday, just give Stonehenge a miss.
If you have got a task to write a descriptive essay at school or university, it is hardly worth immediately taking a pen and putting thoughts on paper. Experts advise to prepare for writing any academic assignment by taking four steps, following which you can make a work informative and well-structured:
- First, correctly allocate time studying the essence of the essay topic, generate ideas, collect material on essay topic using various sources.
- Secondly, write the detailed work outline.
- Then divide your work into meaningful fragments. The standard purpose of essays usually includes the following: analyze, contrast, illustrate. For example, you have been assigned to give a detailed description of some aspects (phenomena, actions), then you aren’t required to analyze them as this type of work has an aim to provide as many details as you can.
- And finally make your work as bright and lively that a reader can taste and smell the described things while a virtual place visit, which writer is talking about.
BUY A CUSTOM ESSAY FROM EXPERT
Great Descriptive Essay Topics to Choose From
It is very important to choose the right descriptive topic. What does it mean “the right topic”? Choose an actual topic able to raise interest.
Descriptive essay topics may be either easier or more difficult. Have a look at popular topics.
Descriptive Essay Topics for 8 Grade
- How do you see your ideal world?
- How should your dream house look like?
- Share an experience of some journey, which impressed you.
- Describe the most beautiful person you know.
- Which laws do you consider inappropriate and describe why exactly?
- What are your household chores?
- Describe your first cooking experience.
- What age did you fall in love for the first time?
- Describe a person who made a great contribution to the history.
- Which design for your flat would you choose if had such an opportunity?
- What profession would you like to choose? Describe all possible benefits of your choice.
Topics for Descriptive Essays High School
- Describe the most pleasant memory.
- How do you imagine yourself in 5 years time?
- Describe your perfect wedding day.
- How do you feel when realizing that somebody lies to you?
- Give a description of your daily routine.
- Describe your feeling when you found out that Santa Claus isn’t real.
- Give a description of the best film you have watched.
- What is your favorite book about?
- Which character features do you appreciate in people most?
- How should your ideal present look like?
- What was the best gift you have ever got?
Descriptive Essay Topics for Middle School
- How should your ideal weekend look like?
- Describe your best summer.
- Which book do you like most and why?
- Which of your friends is a more pleasant person. Describe his/her main features.
- Describe your parents.
- How does your kitchen look like?
- Describe a place you want to live for the rest of your life.
- Give details about your personality.
- Describe one of your neighbors.
- Which toy was your favorite in childhood?
- Which attitude to fashion do you have?
Descriptive Essay Topics for College
- Tell which food you love most.
- Describe doing something for the first time.
- Can you imagine the world without laws and restrictions?
- What is your favorite kind of sports?
- Describe the well-known celebrity.
- Describe your unique experience.
- Give the detailed description of some process.
- Describe all steps necessary to learn to ride a bike.
- Describe holiday traditions in your family.
- How do you spend your working day?
- How do you imagine your perfect match? Include the description of his/her appearance and character.
If you use one of the above mentioned descriptive essay topics, you will definitely attract audience attention. Learn here how to write an effective title.
Descriptive Essay Examples to Look at Before Get Started
In case a student has never described anything in the written form, he or she may feel confused being unable to choose an appropriate tone. Don’t have any ideas? Look at the sample before writing a descriptive essay example.
Here you will find short descriptive essay examples:
Descriptive essay sample number 1: “How I want to spend my perfect weekend”
Descriptive essay sample number 2: My ideal house
Use descriptive essay examples if assigned to write about similar topics.
ORDER A DESCRIPTIVE ESSAY FROM US
Guidelines How to Write a Descriptive Essay
You may wonder how to write a descriptive essay. There are several things to keep in mind before you write:
- The selection of material should be systematic. What does this mean? There is no need to find out absolutely everything that in one way or another relates to the essay topic. You should focus on information that relates to the issue of the essay, has to do with it. What online resources will be useful? Should I use audio and video materials? These are the questions to ask before you get started. First, divide all sources into basic and secondary.
Usually, teachers give students a list of literature on the subject. Also, each textbook has a list of bibliographies to search for literary sources (books, magazine and newspaper publications). Get acquainted with the annotation to the publication and read excerpts from the text, only then make a decision to read the whole text. Electronic media will help you to keep abreast of current events and pick up bright living examples to illustrate the reasoning.
- Start processing the collected material only when it is sufficient to write an essay.
- Formulate themes and ideas that you want to cover in your essay. Pay special attention to the illustrative material and a descriptive essay example that will make your piece of writing more original and interesting.
- Do not forget about the structure. The paper identifies three main parts - introductory paragraph, main section, and conclusion. The main part is divided into paragraphs. Usually, every new aspect, a new idea is revealed in a new paragraph of the body.
How to Write an Introduction to a Descriptive Essay
The introduction can be considered successful if it performs the following functions:
- Informative: help your audience understand what your story will be about;
- Catching the reader’s attention:Hook the intended audience and do your best to hold their attention.
Choose the most suitable statement that covers all points that you are going to discuss in your work. Use some interesting quotes or citation making your introduction eye-catchy.
How to Create a Good Descriptive Essay Thesis
Make sure that your thesis statement meets all requirements:
- Must be short and concise,
- Must help to understand the leading idea,
- Must be understandable.
How to Write a Conclusion for a Descriptive Essay
Concluding, follow these recommendations:
- Make it clear which role it plays for you personally;
- Summarize all information given in the essay;
- Explain the reason why your reader should care about the idea provided in your essay.
Effective Tips How to Write a Descriptive Essay Outline
Follow several steps to have a good descriptive essay outline:
- Gather all topic information;
- Collect all pieces of information making it sound like one entity;
- Check out whether your text has a logical connection between the introduction, the body paragraphs, which are usually five, and the conclusion.
For example, if you have made your mind to write a description of some place, stick to the following detailed plan:
- Write an opening sentence revealing the topic idea;
- Present a place you are going to talk about;
- Tell about your feelings being at this certain place;
- Provide specific details about its location;
- Provide additional facts and details, which relate to your topic;
- Write a statement summarizing the entire word done.
The more locations you will describe, the more paragraphs your paper will consist of. If you find it difficult to organize your thoughts in the written form and develop a good outline, then you may ask those who know how to do this quickly and effectively by ordering it online.
Advice from Expert
Creating a successful description, you should use a vivid language to help your reader see the picture. Don’t forget to include different illustrative examples. You will be able to answer the question:” How to write a descriptive essay?” after you know the secret of successful descriptive texts: just make an accent on all sensory organs. Learn here how to write an observation essay.
For example, describing your holidays at the seaside, breathe life into your work and avoid formalism. Use simple, understandable language appealing to your target audience. Help your reader feel how it was great to swim and play with waves. You will succeed if the person reading your paper can feel like being there. In fact, it is a narration with more vivid details. This is the main peculiarity that makes this descriptive type of writing different from a simple narrative paper style. You may notice that compared to a narration, here you won’t see a lot of action. Sometimes there is no movement at all. Your work will contain a minimum of verbs and maximum of adjectives and adverbs.
Want to become a good writer? Then act like a fisherman who is ready to wait for long till he catches a fish. The same is about a writer, who need to be patient hitting the books and then doing his best hooking the reader. Learn here how to avoid the most common mistakes in your essay.
No Ideas How to Meet the Assignment Deadline? Get Professional Writing Help!
Even very smart students can face a problem facing a need to create an effective written work. The main reason is the lack of practical knowledge and the absence of much free time due to other home tasks in a number of subjects. If you don’t know how to write a descriptive essay, do a simple thing: choose an author who will write it instead of you.
Just ask a professional writer with years of experience: “Create an amazing description for me, please” and you will have your work done within a short period of time. Save your time and energy by entrusting experts with your task and enjoy unforgettable years spent with classmates or group mates.
You will get a paper free from any grammar or spelling errors. Qualified English native speakers will write your assignment from scratch making it sound powerful and unique. Let us provide you with the brilliant work at affordable price.
Order your descriptive college paper now and pass it with flying colors. Ask us to develop a piece of writing of any complexity level and get the results, which will exceed your expectations.